With energy prices escalating, where better to start to reduce home energy bills than in the heart of the home – the kitchen. We use it several times each and every day and our actions in the kitchen during those times can either increase or reduce home energy bills. All it takes is a little bit of thought and planning to consume less energy and save money as you reduce home energy bills from your kitchen.
- - Plan your activities and bake/cook multiple items while the oven is hot
- - Use the oven more in winter and seldomly in summer as it will contribute to your homes overall warmth
- - After using the oven in winter, let it cool with the door open to add warmth to the home
- - Look through the door rather than opening the door to see how the cooking is
progressing. Every time you open the door heat escapes ( the temperature inside can drop up to 20 degrees) and then more energy is required to return the oven back to temperature.
- - Turn the oven off a few minutes early but leave the food in there for the full time – the
food will continue to cook but you wont pay for as much energy!
- - In summer consider using your gas BBQ for a change which will reduce the amount of
heat produced indoors and will reduce your electricity bills
- - Use a gas stove top kettle rather than an electric kettle Continue reading